Friday, October 12, 2012

Birth Story

Is that really the title of a post that I am writing?  I feel like I am that my dreams came true on Wed Oct 3rd.  I kept a lot inside during my pregnancy for fear of jinxing something and it's nice now because I can look back and write about how I was feeling at different stages of my pregnancy, labor, delivery, and birth...and now in my life with twins.

After my miscarriage and while we were going through infertility treatments, I kept telling myself that it would all be worth it when we brought our rainbow baby (babies) home.  And you know what?  It was.  Every single moment and heartbreak was worth it for my precious babies.  I am so blessed to be their mother and so incredibly happy and fulfilled.  The hole in my heart is healing and I feel content in a way that just want not possible until now.

Okay, so now onto the birth story, but this is only the beginning because my eyes are closing and I really need a nap.

On Tuesday, Oct 2nd, we arrived at the hospital at 8 am to be admitted and get the induction started.  Within the hour, I was in my room with my IV in place and ready to go.  The babies looked great on the monitor and a quick ultrasound revealed that baby boy had flipped and now both babies were head down. I was still 3 cm and having some contractions in the monitor.  They drew labs and sent a urine.  Next thing I knew the pitocin was started and my induction had officially begun. This was all by 10am.
At 2 pm, my doctor came back with some not so good news...I was spilling even more protein in my urine and my blood pressures were elevated.  She said it was a good thing that I was being induced but unfortunately I would have to go on magnesium.  I was checked again and I was still 3cm but I was more effaced and baby girl's head was lower and my cervix had moved from posterior to anterior.  My contractions were about every 3 to 4 minutes and I was starting to have a lot of pain with them.  They recommended that I get am epidural because they would probably break my water soon top hell speed things up.  Well the magnesium was awful and I just felt terrible...really really hot, nauseous, and out of it so I was looking forward to things moving along.  I was checked again at 9 pm and I had made out to 4 cm and 80% effaced and I felt like things were still moving along.  Overnight though I started to lose hope because my contractions were irregular and further apart.  Around 6 am, I was still
4 cm and they broke my water.  The contractions never picked up though and I continued to be miserable on the mag.

My doctor came in at 12:30 pm and offered me the option to wait until 6 pm and see if I made it to active labor or go back for a section now. After some tears and getting likes failure and a good discussion with CJ, we opted for the c-section.

Nap be continued.


  1. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Can't wait to hear more!

  2. Congratulations! Can't wait to hear the rest of your story!