Wednesday, December 12, 2012


I had heard a little bit about mastitis before I started my breastfeeding twins adventure.  I kinda figured that it was something that I wouldn't have to worry about since I am constantly either nursing or pumping.  That all changed this week.  It was probably a combination of my kids getting me sick with a little cold, stress at work, and the kiddos sleeping more at night that did it.  I woke up Tuesday morning feeling like my usual self.  I pumped since the kids were both still sleeping and I had to get to work.  After pumping, I noticed that my left breast was sore and painful to the touch.  I was worried about a plugged duct, but at this point I was running late and just had to get to work.  I called my sister from work while I was getting set up in the OR.  We both came to the conclusion that it was likely a plugged duct since I didn't have any systemic symptoms. No fever, chills, malaise, myalgias.  So I continued on with my day.  By 10am, I started to feel off.  By 11am, I started to have chills, but no fever ( I checked in the PACU.)  By noon, I was worried that I wouldn't that I wouldn't make it through my call.  By 12:30, I realized that I wasn't going to make it through the day at work.  I was nauseous and couldn't eat anything.  I had shaking chills and every muscle in my body hurt.  I could barely stand up straight and my left breast was killing me.  So, I got someone to take over my case and I ran up to see one of the lactation consultants who confirmed that I did have mastitis.  Then, I called my OB who called in an antibiotic and I took off for home.  As luck would have it, CJ was working from home that day so he took care of me.  He took my temp (103.5), loaded me up with Tylenol and ibuprofen, got me lots and lots of water, made me chicken noodle soup, tucked me in with lots of blankets, kept washing my pump stuff, picked up my antibiotics and the kiddos.  He was an all-star!!

Thankfully, today with the antibiotics, Tylenol, and ibuprofen and very frequent nursing/pumping I am feeling  better.  Still not 100%, but much better.  I'm on-call tonight and hoping that I get out soon so I can get some much needed rest.

Now, I just hope that my milk supply doesn't take a huge hit.  I was definitely not pumping as much today.  I'm going to start taking the Fenugreek again and eating oatmeal to try to get it back up, but I know that the kiddos will be fine with a little bit of formula.  


  1. That sounds absolutely miserable! Thank goodness for your amazing husband and I hope you are back to normal soon.

  2. Hope your recovery is quick and uneventful!