Wednesday, March 13, 2013

No 'Poo...Help for greasy postpartum hair!!

I didn't even realize what my hair looked like during the first 3 months postpartum.  Seriously, I cannot remember and didn't care at all.  Mostly, it was up in a bun, I think.  I am pretty sure that I washed it almost everyday though because my daily shower was a priority during my maternity leave.  I got my hair cut in December, which helped it to look nice for a couple of weeks.  Then, in January, I started to notice my hair again...and I was not happy with what I saw.  First of all, it's thinning out and I'm constantly shedding hair, but I was expecting that.  On top of that, my hair looked and felt incredibly greasy.  It didn't matter if I washed it more or less or what shampoos and conditioners I used...it was just a greasy mess.  The bun wasn't even cutting it because the top of my head just looked greasy and gross.

Cue google search for easy remedies for help with greasy hair.  I came across a number of blog posts and articles about No 'pooing and I thought that I would give it a try.  It definitely couldn't hurt and I already had all the ingredients.

Step 1:  Mix baking soda with water (about 1 tablespoon in 1 cup of water) and massage into scalp after wetting hair in shower.  This is like the shampoo step.  It feels like just massaging water into your scalp.  Rinse Hair.

Step 2:  Mix apple cider vinegar with water (about 1/4 cup vinegar with 1 cup water) and pour on hair, mostly the ends, but a little on the scalp as well.  This is like the conditioner step.  Again, it just feels like dumping vinegar water onto your hair.  Rinse hair well.

Step 3:  Dry hair or let hair air dry.  The key is that your hair may smell like vinegar while it is wet, but the smell completely goes away once your hair is dry.

The results:  AMAZING!!  Seriously, my hair felt lighter and looked healthy and shiny after even just one time, but it has continued to get better.  I'm so happy that I tried this and will continue to use it.  I don't always do this because there are some times when I'm in a hurry and just put a little conditioner in my hair ( I also have the Go Blonder Conditioner from John Frieda and I'm trying to get my hair back to a little blonder color without having to color it.)  I highly recommend No 'Pooing!!

What hair remedies have you tried?  Let me know if you try No 'Pooing and what your results are!!  Any other tips for greasy hair??

2 comments:

  1. My hair did the exact same!! When I got it cut I was told to get a clarifying shampoo and use it once a week. It works wonders!!!

    ReplyDelete